What makes this course different?
In collaboration with the TaxTribe, this course will be presented by Mark Korten of Korten Consulting Limited, an independent tax advisory company based in Mauritius.
Mark is a South African tax and commercial attorney with over 25 years’ experience.
He emigrated to Mauritius twelve years ago to make Mauritius a sustainable and long-term home for him and his family.
With an intimate understanding of not only the Mauritian residency and tax rules applicable to foreigners, but also the necessary qualifications and experience having advised on South African tax issues from an international perspective, Mark is able to apply his knowledge of the relevant tax and residency rules in both South Africa as well as in Mauritius so as to give a full picture and unbiased advice on a family decision as grave as leaving one’s homeland and moving to Mauritius.
This course focuses specifically on educating South Africans on the various rules and regulations that impact on whether or not Mauritius will be a suitable jurisdiction to call home, start a business, retire, possibly manage an existing South African based business, or otherwise live and work, canvassing not only the legal and tax issues but also social and lifestyle issues such as educating children that may be critical in making an informed decision.
The topics covered will include the following-
- Explaining the various residency options available to South Africans who wish to make Mauritius their home, whether this is for the purposes of working, starting a business, retiring or simply having a “plan B” right of residency to be exercised at a future point in time;
- Explaining in some details the various Mauritian taxes that affects individuals who are Mauritian tax resident, working and generating Mauritian sourced income, alternatively income outside of Mauritius in various forms;
- A detailed explanation of the company and trust taxation rules that would be applicable to a South African should it be appropriate to establish a Mauritian company;
- Illustrating the importance of Mauritian income tax and estate planning given certain unfamiliar laws to South Africans such as force heirship rules and high individual income taxes.
- Share a personal perspective of a South African living in Mauritius for twelve years, providing personal insights on not only the benefits and virtues of living in Mauritius but also pointing out challenges, restrictions and other differences that may or may not be suitable for South Africans.